Some of you may know Be Enriched and our Scotland ‘Kidsplay’ Projects. Maybe you’ve been a participant, volunteer, staff member or link organisation in the past or are just interested in Be Enriched’s work.
We are sad to announce that for the forseeable future, Kidsplay will not be running.
WHAT WAS ‘KIDSPLAY ‘?
Kidsplay was a group of projects set up to help children under 8, regardless of background, additional support needs and financial situation.
Several phases to KIDSPLAY took places in the East of Glasgow
· An ‘02 Think Big’ Pilot of ‘Kidsplay family drama’ for kids age 4-8
· A summer Creative Week for Children and Families
· A theraputic drama & storytelling holiday week for Impact Arts
· And the longest running, a Creative Play and healthy food group for families with babies and toddlers upto age 4
Team Kidsplay worked with over 400 children aged 0-8 and their parent, carers & siblings!
KIDSPLAY’S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDED:
· Our regular weekly groups, most recently Calton Heritage & Learning Centre
· The amazing families we met!
· Music Specialist Gaynor Babel
· Theatre shows from Grinagog and Ipdip
· Messy play, Stories, Art and Crafts, Drama, Recyling Crafts, Games
· And the most important SNACK TIME! HOW DID IT ALL BEGIN?
· Kidsplay began in 2014 as a humble idea by founder Rachel Rostock, who identified a need for a whole-family experience where kids in Glasogw’s East End could enjoy drama & imaginative play WITH their parents and carers !·
· Rachel was met by enthusiasm from community drama workshop faciliatator and Be Enriched team-member, Sophie McCabe.
· It was one of the first youth led projects supported by Be Enriched.
What did we learn?
· Play and creativity brings people together of all ages and backgrounds
· Old fashioned playing is fantastic for whole family well-being- turn off the technology and see how relaxed you feel!
· You can make anything from recycled packaging and some imagination
· Fruit can be tasty- even for toddlers!
· Every challenge is a learning process, believe in your idea and you can make it happen
KIDSPLAY WOULD LIKE TO THANK:
· ALL of the families who attended
· ALL The Kidsplay volunteers- past and present
· All Kidsplay Sessional Staff & Visiting Artists
· Also: Big Lottery Communties & Families Fund
O2 Think Big, Impact Arts, On the Corner / The Space, Platform, Barras Art and Design, Denistoun Parish Church, Blue Vale Community Hall, Dennistoun Primary School, Geezabreak, Glasgow Youth Arts Hub
SPECIAL THANKS GO TO:
Kemi Akinola and Be Enriched
· Calton Heritage and Learning Centre-
· Longest serving volunteers-turned staff Jack Nelson and John Halloran – couldn’t have done it without you guys!
· Skyla Rostock- supporting the project pre and post-birth as a baby / toddler who painstakingly road tested all the play activities just to make sure they were fun enough!
WHERE CAN I LOOK FOR SIMILAR PROJECTS NOW THAT ‘KIDSPLAY’ IS NOT RUNNING?
Scotland-based family activities:
Creative Scotland Opportunities, What’s on For Families in Glasgow, Youth Theatre Arts Scotland Opportunities online @Glasgowloveskids, Glasgow City Council Libraries, @DadsRock @mumsnet, Families Magazine
Local to Glasgow East End:
Calton Heritage and Learning Centre,The Space, Barras Art & Design, Impact Arts (Dennistoun), Glasgow Women’s Library, Spirit of Calton, Platform
WHAT ABOUT BE ENRICHED?
Be Enriched will continue to make a huge difference to young people and communities but currently have no active projects based in Scotland. Keep your eyes on the Facebook and Twitter accounts for overseas opportunities that pop up.
@be_enriched / http://www.be-enriched.org.uk
THANK YOU FROM THE TEAM AT KIDSPLAY and BE ENRICHED!